Saturday, March 17, 2012

The memory I keep coming back to.

I was probably looking as pathetic as a wet dog that is waiting by the back door for someone, anyone to let it in. I had just arrived at the Swansea campus and my bags were almost as heavy as I was. Two fifty pound suitcases and a back pack that I swear weighed just as much as the two of them combined, on account of me shoving every last parcel into it so that I wouldn't be charged the extra amount. In fact, I might have actually payed extra for one of the suitcases because I remember not wanting to be charged for shipping later on down the line.. Anyways, my bags were heavy, I wasn't that buff and besides, travel had definitely worn me down. It was at least 24 hours since I had last seen my bed and now we were being directed around like blind mice in some cruel game show maze. I had no idea where my room was and all the driver had said, with a dismissive wave, was "down there somewhere." I took a deep breath and picked up the handle to one suitcase (thank God, one rolled!). The other one, however, was meant to be carried across your shoulder and I could barely haul it up at this point. I was doing my best to look as least miserable as was possible, as I was aware that I wasn't the only confused student and most likely I was going to have to face these people for the next couple months or so. I was also aware of the large, dark-haired, Marilynesque, mysterious guy that had finally caught my eye. He silently offered to take one of my bags and I practically cried from relief. It turned out he was staying in the flat next to mine. He dropped my bag off and just as silently retreated to his own place. I barely remember the details. Did we speak or was I too distracted? Did I even say thank you? Maybe not that day, but I did see him a few times later on throughout the semester. Still dark and mysterious, but I learned his name and that he was from Germany. I think he told me the most interesting stories I have ever heard in my entire life! That trip was so worth it. He was only one of all the other incredible, diverse people I met and I'm so glad that he did that favor for me. Does it make anyone else wonder what small things you could do for someone else or what things you might have possible done to help another just by being you? I have no idea why he offered to help. Kindness, very possible. Determination, manliness... the possibilities are endless. I just know, I still appreciate that moment.
So, what does it mean? What can I learn from that moment? Can it still give me strength to make it through just one more difficult moment in my life? I think so. I think the baggage I carry is often too heavy for one person and I do need help sometimes. It actually helps build relationships. What else? There was nothing that I was doing, I don't think anyway, that would have promised that I could return that favor. In fact, I don't think I ever would be able to. Me, an American girl with little physical strength and an inability to wow him with my own life-experiences (come on, what 20-something year old guy wants to hear the whoa's of high school cheerleading? That was really all I had, up to that point). But, he helped me anyway. I guess I just feel like praying that at some point in my life I would be able to return his kindness in some form, to some one and that all the other negativity in life that threatens to bog us down would be erased, forgotten, insignificant. That is my prayer. And, thank you if you are reading this, your action has obviously caused a ripple and I hope something good is coming your way and that good moments already have.
Have a good day everybody!
~Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment