Tuesday, April 10, 2012

oh no! oh, how?

I blame the 5:30 prayer session for what happened this morning. You know how it is, waking up and stumbling out of bed in that half dream-like state, but fully aware that you have some place you must be and certainly something to do. I proceeded to stare blankly at the closet for a full five minutes before I gave up on getting dressed and headed into the bathroom to brush my teeth. "I might have to go in my pajamas, I vowed, but not with this breath!" I have a thing about morning breath, it isn't really so horrendous (thank God!), but if I leave that for the starting point of the day, just imagine how much worse it will be by bedtime! So, there I was, absently looking in the mirror as I cleared my canines and my brain, slowly but surely, began to turn. "Okay, I'm going to put in some earrings once I'm done with this." Play by play. No thought entered into the arena until I was clearing my tongue with the toothbrush and water. "Almost done," and reaching towards the jewelry box "a-ha! The silver balls will be perfect." One in the left ear, the other in the right and I was done. Back to daring the clothes in my closet to present themselves to me in outfit format. Eventually, I was out the door and the rest is a bit routine. The part I was not expecting was returning to that same wretched spot, the reflexion in the bathroom, to see that what I had thought were my two silver earrings had in fact been one silver and the other, a slightly smaller ball, gold! How could this be? I had not only gone to church and talked to more people than usual, but had presented myself at the gym as well! Very funny. I laughed until my side hurt. I'm still not sure how that happened or who even noticed, but I found it hilarious that I am still me and still capable of very silly mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment