Saturday, January 12, 2013

On Pride

When I first began thinking about pride, it became an overwhelming topic that felt more like falling down the rabbit hole than providing any release. Once I became aware of pride in my life, I felt like a surgeon who needed to scalpel out any inclining of pride, or self-worth. I didn't understand what pride was except for a vague notion of it being walking around haughtily and feeling impenetrable. All of those things began to fall out of my life, but it wasn't making me any happier and I sure wasn't living my life more biblically. I believed I was humbling myself, but it was more like denying the person God had created me to be.

While reading in the book of 2 Chronicles, I read about a king named Hezekiah. That's where I'll really begin:

2 Chronicles 24-27.
"In those days Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death. He prayed to the Lord, who answered him and gave him a miraculous sign. But Hezekiah's heart was proud and he did not respond to the kindness shown him; therefore the Lord's wrath was on him and on Judah and Jerusalem. Then Hezekiah repented of the pride in his heart, as did the people of Jerusalem; therefore the Lord's wrath did not come on them during the days of Hezekiah. Hezekiah had very great wealth and honor, and he made treasuries for his silver and gold and his precious stones, spices, shields, and all kinds of valuables."

I read that Hezekiah was proud, but I still didn't really grasp what pride was. So, down at the bottom of my Bible there are some helpful notes. I checked them out. It turns out I found this definition,

         "Pride is any attitude that elevates our effort or abilities above God's, or treats with disdain his work in us. It causes us to congratulate ourselves for our successes and to look down on other people."

Wow. What a relief reading that was for me! It gave me a sense of freedom in that I can love what I do, even be happy with the work of my life, but that isn't necessarily pride! As long as I acknowledge that God is the creator, that God makes it possible for all things to be completed or to happen, and that it is God's work in me that has guided me thus far. Additionally, that my accomplishments do not elevate me above the position of anyone else, no matter what, is a great source of joy for me. It makes sense, finally! So, maybe you had this all figured out already, but I am so thankful for the revelation! :)
I hope everyone's day is blessed and prosperous.
Love,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment