Tuesday, December 20, 2016

A Time of Reflection

Maybe it's the New Year coming up,  or maybe it's the Facebook memories that pop up, but this morning I find myself reflecting on the past as well as on the here and now.

I am SO thankful that I am not where I was 6 years ago. And, to be fair, 6 years is quite a long time. I mean, 6 years before these last 6 years, I was a mere 17 years old. I am DEFINITELY not where I was at 17, so maybe it is obvious that I wouldn't be in the same spot as my 23 year old self.

However, some people are the same as they were 6 years ago. When we age, change doesn't happen as frequently, some things are meant to be permanent. Usually, jobs become careers, renting turns into buying, and friends are more like family. Unfortunately, that can also mean that habits seem more like engraved personality traits  (or disorders). Whatever it is, I'm glad that at 23 I was still capable of making necessary changes to my life.

If I had had my head on straight and was on the fast track to the career of my dreams, I might feel differently. But, I didn't. 6 years ago was probably the darkest period of my adult life. Granted, some things are still the same. I'm still reserved (mostly) until I get to know someone, I'd still rather do most things by myself, I still do way too much contemplation throughout the day, and I still have an unhealthy appreciation for sweets.

There are also somethings I lost, that I wouldn't mind getting back in the New Year. My love of knowledge, for example. Over time I've let me desire to learn and to scan books for hours go, I don't dance embarrassingly half as much as I used to, or should, and I haven't had a good "girl-talk" in I don't know how long.

No comments:

Post a Comment