Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Biblical Evidence

What does it mean that I would base my feelings, my strength, my argument off of Bible scriptures. It probably means a whole lot to some people and a whole lot of nothing to others. To me, it means that I read a passage and it registered with the state of my country. It means that I have been praying for peace for awhile now and I feel like a clue was revealed. It means that it is still a good piece of advice and anyone claiming wisdom might look at the words and their meaning before making any prejudiced judgments.

In Jeremiah, the Old Testament, the Lord is commenting on the rebellion of Judah, through His prophet, Jeremiah. We, Americans, are obviously not in Judah nor do I think Judah as a place still exists as it did during the interaction to which I am referring. However, God makes a point that He was with the people until they found wealth or success or liberation and then as soon as this happened, they deserted God. The phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" jumps to mind. In fairness, I have not completed Jeremiah yet, I'm trying to read a little at a time, per day. This section just got me thinking, were our [Americans'] forefathers believers in God, in religion? Were we not established as a secure nation that saw a wealth of goods and currently has an advanced medical system with the CAPABILITIES of caring for our sick, fatherless and suffering? Does it not seem troublesome to abort the principles our country was founded on because in present day society it seems politically incorrect to praise the name of God? It isn't black and white and I know that. I know that multi-culturalism presents a challenge to this monotheistic view of mine. I also know that some people can harp on for a good ten minutes on the terrors of war that religion produces. Shall I counter you with the terrors of war that the progressive appeal for power and greed have inflicted on this and other great nations. I'm not saying I have all the answers. I'm saying Christianity preaches, at its core, love and people have skewed this representation. I'm saying we should give God another chance because I see either black or white. Yes, the opposite of love is hate and what I hate is evil. Am I wrong to say that we should all turn from evil? Am I any more insane than one who can stand and look me in my face and say they only want to embrace evil? Where, might I ask, does that view get you? Do you get closer to your family and feel the evil in their embraces? Do you stop and smell the flowers and delight in their stench? I can't see it. And, yes, you're right, I don't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment